Machinist / Fabrication Grinder
|Job Title:||Machinist / Fabrication Grinder|
Position Description Summary:
Under general supervision, this position works within the manufacturing team and is responsible for the operation of a surface or form grinding machine for the production of graphite parts and components.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
- Interpret blueprints to the extent inspection can be performed satisfactorily.
- Load and adjust workpieces onto equipment or worktables.
- Measure and mark equipment, objects, or parts to ensure grinding and polishing standards are met.
- File grooved, contoured, and irregular surfaces of graphite objects to conform to templates, layouts, or blueprint specifications.
- Understand basic inspection tools, Mic’s, Calipers, Indicators, sine plates, cylinder squares, surface plate use, gage pins, gage blocks, etc.
- Must be proficient with or able to quickly grasp tolerance requirements. GD&T is helpful.
- Work within and maintain the integrity of the ISO-9001 and NADCAP certified quality system requirements.
- Maintains a safe work environment and operates within OSHA/MIOSHA guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED plus 0-3 years of experience within a manufacturing environment. Ability to grasp machining concepts and learn company specific to grinding techniques.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Mechanical aptitude (i.e., intuitive understanding of mechanical processes)
- Entry level skills of blueprint reading and some knowledge of GD&T preferred, but not required.
- Experience in the use of MS Office suite
- Understanding of manufacturing production principles.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills, problem solving skills.
- Able to work well within a team environment.
- Self-motivated with a strong interest in fostering continuous improvement and high quality.
- Able to learn hard checking methods and skills.
- Tool calibration experience is a plus.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Vehicles Used:
CNC and manual grinders; measuring instruments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must be able to accomplish in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to manipulate, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stand; talk and hear; walk; sit, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and lift or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Your hands will get dirty performing activities related to this job.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral visions, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information, and documents, analyze and solve problems, use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines and occasional interruptions; and interact with staff and other organizations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The working environment of this position varies and includes both the manufacturing floor and office environments.
Position reports to the Fabrication Superintendent.
No supervisory responsibilities in this role.